At least six police officials were killed and 22 injured including civilians after a blast ripped through a police truck in New Sariyab, area of Quetta on Wednesday. The nature of blast is yet to be ascertained.
Sarfaraz Bugti, the home minister for Baluchistan, visited the site of the explosion.
Rescue teams shifted the dead bodies and wounded to Quetta Civil Hospital (QCH), Bolan Medical Complex (BMC) and Combined Military Hospital (CMH).
Police and FC troops have reached the area, which has been cordoned off for gathering evidence.
In a message to media outlets from an undisclosed location, Taliban spokesperson Muhammad Khurasani claimed the responsibility for the attack in Quetta, and said they wanted to target the Frontier Corps (FC).
Death toll might further rise as seven of the injured people were in critical condition, said hospital sources.
Chief Minister Sanaullah Zehri told reporters that the bomb contained 80 kilogrammes of explosive material. The blast which was carried out remotely occurred near Kajhori check post when the security forces were patrolling the area, a security official said, adding the IED had been planted along Miran Shah road. "We will continue the war against these terrorists and we will defeat them".
Quetta's deputy police inspector general, Razzaq Cheema, explained that before the attack they had information about plans by extremist groups. "Balochistan is on the forefront of this fight and we will not stop until there is not a single terrorist left in the area", Bugti said.
Balochistan has experienced incidents of violence and targeted killings for over a decade.
Pakistani leaders, including Imran Khan, and members of the civil society condemned the attack, praying for the victims.
Both Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and President Mamnoon Hussain condemned the blast and expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the attack.