AP photographer shot covering West Bank protest

"We've sent thousands of letters to humanitarian organizations, including the ICRC, requesting their intercession on behalf of the hunger strikers", Nashat al-Wahidi, a spokesman for the Prisoners and Detainees' Committee (led by Palestinian political movement Fatah), said.

Israel's state comptroller has called for an increase in the number of military checkpoints in the occupied West Bank as well as tightening restrictions on the entry of Palestinians into Israel, Haaretz reported on Wednesday.

When the settler drove through the crowd, protesters began beating the vehicle and throwing rocks at it.

The OIC called for proper worldwide access to Palestinian detainees and prisoners as well as the inspection of their conditions, stressing that Israel as the occupying power must be held fully accountable for their well being.

The incident took place near a checkpoint where the day before, an Israeli settler opened fire at Palestinians who pelted his vehicle with rocks at a protest in solidarity with the hunger-strikers.

They called for a U.N. General Assembly emergency session to discuss the strike, as well as alleged Israeli attempts to force feed prisoners on hunger strikes, another violation of worldwide law. One May 12, the soldiers fatally shot Saba' Nidal Obeid, 20, from Salfit, after the army assaulted nonviolent protesters in Nabi Saleh village, west of Ramallah. The Ma'an News Agency quoted an Israeli military spokeswoman as saying that she was unsure whether security forces had detained the shooter.

In the West Bank, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said in an emailed press statement that 38 were injured in total, including casualties were injured by rubber bullets and tear gas.

The demonstration in Huwara was organized by Palestinian activists to show support for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel who for the last month have been waging a high-profile hunger strike.

Dozens of protesters suffocated due to tear gas inhalation. It confirms an Israeli civilian opened fire, but that he says he only shot into the air.

Muataz Hussein Hilal died after the Israeli man shot into a crowd of people who were throwing rocks at his vehicle.

They were transferred to hospital for medical treatment, where their conditions were described as moderate.

Latest News