Girl suffers severe burns doing popular DIY science project

Little Girl Sustains 3rd Degree Burns While Making Homemade Slime

11-Year-Old Woke up with Burns on Her Hands After Popular 'Craft Project' at Sleepover

Kathleen Quinn's hands were nearly completely bandaged up after she suffered second- and third-degree burns from making and playing with the popular slime at a friend's house.

"She was crying in pain, 'My hands hurt, my hands hurt, '" Kathleen's mother, Siobhan Quinn, told WCVB. A mother from eastern MA said that her daughter received burns from an ingredient used to make home made "slime".

Quinn said her daughter often made the slime at home.

"I thought it was great".

The girl's parents took her to the hospital where doctors determined the blisters were actually second and third-degree burns. Kathleen is expected to make a full recovery. While Kathleen was at a sleepover, she woke up in extreme pain.

Homemade slime is a do-it-yourself project that is becoming popular with elementary and middle school students - but there is a key ingredient that could pose a danger. The girls burns are attributed to one component, borax (sodium tetraborate), a product that was commonly used in cleaning and laundry before the advent of advanced detergents and enzyme cleaners. Kathleen Quinn, who at one point was making the slime on a daily basis, suffered the injury while staying over at a friend's house, WCVB reported.


Homemade slime has been the latest craze among children in recent months.

"I feel awful", Siobhan told the news outlet.

If not diluted properly Borax can irritate the eyes, nose and skin. Her hands were hot and tingly.

Although many YouTube tutorials for the DIY slime feature Borax, some offer substitutes for the household cleaner like the edible cornstarch, baking soda and even salt.

The most common recipe for slime involves just three ingredients: Elmer's Glue, the household cleaner Borax, and water.

"We decided to make this recipe because slime is such a huge trend right now, " Buzzfeed senior producer Erin Phraner said on TODAY. She hopes to warn parents about the potentially harmful effects of the project.

Latest News